Now that we have completed another remarkable year in the maritime industry, AAPA is excited to announce the opening of nominations for the prestigious Port Person of the Year Award for 2024. This award recognizes and celebrates an individual from any sector of the maritime industry who has made significant contributions to the field.
- Eligibility: Nominees can be individuals whose outstanding work or service has made a significant contribution to public port authorities and/or maritime commerce in the Western Hemisphere. Nominees may be recognized for positive contributions with international impact or for benefits to ports within a country or region.
- Criteria: Nominees may include government officials, trade or transportation industry leaders, or any other individual who has made a significant contribution to advance the priorities of the public port community (examples: free trade, infrastructure investment, technological advances, etc.). Generally, nominees will not be members of the public port community itself, but friends and allies. Association members are not eligible for this award.
The submission deadline for nominations is Friday, January 19, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
To nominate an individual, write at least one paragraph on each of the following criteria and email it to Shannon McLeod.
- Individual experience and expertise: Describe the nominee’s background and expertise as it relates to this award. Describe any awards or other recognition received by the individual.
- Contributions to the port/maritime/transportation industry: Describe the kinds of activities undertaken by the individual that have substantially contributed to the betterment of the public port community and/or maritime commerce (a) within the delegation; and (b) throughout the Western Hemisphere.
- How would ports benefit: Describe how the port industry would benefit from this individual’s selection as Port Person of the Year.
The AAPA Board will review the nominations and determine to whom, if anyone, the awards will be presented each year. Your participation in this process is crucial to ensuring that we identify and honor the most deserving individual who truly made a difference in the maritime industry last year. If you have any questions or need further information, contact Shannon McLeod.